The Lord the Shepherd of His people .........

art by ©t.Bauer


My family has grown up with animals.  On Ranches and Farms we had sheep, cows, horses, chickens, goats, bunnies, ducks, geese, fish, dogs, cats etc.
mom and dad in Oregon 

It was not until my dad was up in age though that he got some sheep. Dad was used to cows but since mom wanted some spinning wools and he was looking to diversify the ranches income he got into sheep.  At first he was frustrated with them.  He, as most had heard and believed sheep are dumb. that the same but in time he learned this was NOT true.
 What frustrated him was that they would not be herded  as cows would.  As hard as he tried when he got behind the herd of sheep and tried to "push" them to the next pasture or barn they would leap and jump every which way!  To push or herd means to go behind the herd and as you walk and shout a little waves your arms a bit, clap your hands the cows would go off together in whatever direction you were moving them too.  Nope not sheep.  Unless you have sheep dogs!
What he found works must better.  Just get a small pail with grain and call the sheep.  Walking to the area you want and they just follow along.   Easy ;-)

The sheep turned out to be very smart and though they are fragile more than cows are.  They were very much loved by my dad and mom.  Cows are just different.  Cows are more tough.  Sheep need a Shepherd looking out for them more often. They need a constant Shepherd to lead them to pastures, to keep insects off them, to protect and provide.  They are gentle for the most part. Though rams are not to be trifled with sometimes.  I see why God calls us his flock.  ;-)

My point is that God calls us.  He does not push or wrangle us to follow Him- He calls and you have a choice. Come and be fed, cared for and protected by the God who calls his sheep.  For we are the sheep of His pastures.  He does not say anywhere in the bible we are the cows of his pasture.

cows along the Colombia river Wash. ©salzano

The Lord the Shepherd of His People
A Psalm of David.
23 
The Lord is my shepherd;
I shall not want.
He makes me to lie down in green pastures;
He leads me beside the still waters.
He restores my soul;
He leads me in the paths of righteousness
For His name’s sake.
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil;
For You are with me;
Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.
You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies;
You anoint my head with oil;
My cup runs over.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me
All the days of my life;
And I will dwell[a] in the house of the Lord
Forever.
My Dad with some of his sheep ©salzano

Popular Posts