And God set a name and a stone for each Tribe........
I am studying the book of exodus recently and thought this was a fun assumption;
In Exodus 28 it is listing the commandments of God as to how exactly the priests breastplate was to be made. Part of it represents the 12 original tribes of Israel. Remember all tribes were called Israel but each tribe had a different name according the genealogy listed in Genesis 49. This is where they are listed according to oldest to youngest. Using this pattern and the note in Exodus 28:17 I am assuming these stones are attributed to each tribe going from eldest to youngest.
1. Rueben Ruby Red Stone
2. Simeon Topaz Yellow and multi colors
3. Levi Emerald Green Stone
4. Judah Emerald Green Stone (notice that BOTH Judah and Levi are the same stone!)
5. Zebulan Sapphire Blue Stone
6. Issachar Diamond White Stone
|I love this stone and Zebulan was to live near the sea -|
that is totally me. And my fav stone! ;-) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sapphire
"Zebulun shall dwell at the shore of the sea: He shall become a haven for ships..."
7. Dan Amber Yellow Stone
8. Gad Agate White Multi Color Stones
9. Asher Amethyst Purple Stone
10.Naphtali Onyx Black Stone (but has other color too)
11. Joseph Beryl Colorless Stone (see below)
12. Benjamin Jasper Multi Stone colors
|Pure beryl is colorless, but it is frequently tinted by impurities; possible colors are green, blue, yellow, red, and white.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beryl|
I have left a active link to each stone on Wikipedia for further research into the properties of each one. Just thought this was very interesting! Enjoy!