Really? Trick or Treat?




Trick or treat?" The word "trick" refers to "threat" to perform mischief on the homeowners or their property if no treat is given.[71 

My kids are already grown and successful adults.  But when they were young and growing up I decided this  one holiday custom I would not participate in.  I did as a child one time when visiting my cousins.  We walked around and said trick or treat to the homes we visited.  If they were gone or did not have anything to give us we “tricked” them or in my case we threw rocks onto the lawn they had.  
When my dad found out he was displeased with my behavior.  His reasoning had nothing to do with God but it was common sense! Thankfully my dad did not care to do halloween. 

I do not see the "happy" as the vintage card above declares in this yearly party.  That one day is the worst crime rates in any city.  Party goers destroy property, get hurt , drink to much and how many die that night from something relating to destructive behavior by them or others?  Because it is such a money maker for retailers it is a commercialized brain bombardment to participate. 

Why would a honest and upstanding member of society want to beg stuff from neighbors and if they could not deliver then retaliate against them?  Sure sounds like what the old time gangs did right?  Pay us now or we shall repay you with harm!  Is this what you want your children to learn?  NO!  If we raise our children to be honest, kind to others, respectful to others, helpful etc and then encourage them to go out creating mayhem, and chaos on Halloween what double standard of living is that?  We are either  teaching by our example and actions or we are not.  I wanted my children to learn to be kind, helping others, creating good things, and basically being the kind of person any other person would be glad to have as a neighbor.  Assets to society and not a detriment.  Celebrating this tradition based on old pagan gods and rulers is not my kind of lifestyle.  Maybe I should have sent my kids out to GIVE things to the neighbors that evening years ago.  

Since my kids did feel left out somewhat with all the other kids doing halloween stuff I would have them substitute for good things.  We would start early making things for Thanksgiving DaY.  Gathering leaves to press for cards, making signs and gifts for our family day of thanks. 
 In school I asked the teachers to help them by letting them make pumpkins or thanksgiving items instead of halloween decor.  If a party was help or a costume party was giving my child would not wear things that represent evil or darkness!  There is nothing GOOD in BAD.  Seems the world wants us to think that good is bad and that  light is dark.  That my friends is exactly what Satan wants us to believe!

So this year Keep in mind the following verse, 

Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. Philippians 4:8

But we all make our own choices and I have made mine.  I raised my children the way I thought was best and everyone else has that choice to make too.  I respect the right of all people to choose  and with that right we all reap what we do.  If we do well we reap the good things God provides.  If we choose wrong we reap the consequences of that action too.  Not one human being on the earth today has not at some time chosen wrong and reaped the consequences.  Hopefully we learn early and then choose rightly.  

Popular Posts