What Holidays Would God like us to keep?

First off, this is just my opinion and pondering.  After 33 years studying and meditating on God's ways, His views, I have come to this conclusion:

No where in the bible, nor any any time has God told me to keep Christmas, put up a tree and lights all over.  Or to keep Halloween, Valentines Day, etc. etc.  I DO see where God commanded us to be thankful at all times.  I do see where a Sabbath Rest is to be done.  He does have a list of Holy Days for the called out ones.

 I see Thanksgiving Day as a day to set aside and give Him thanks, but how many of us really do that.  We in America only call it "Turkey" day.  I am not saying that some of these days cannot be kept in Honoring God, our Lord Jesus Christ but I want to do things that please God.  Does it please God to keep our own set days in His honor or are we just saying the words and really we are just doing what pleases us?  Each person can only answer this to themselves.  No one can judge another on what is in their heart.  We can deceive ourselves too if we are not careful and take evaluation of our selfs regularly.

We have days to honor different Presidents, people throughout the year.  Why is there not a day set aside to "praise and honor God"?  hmmm, maybe that is suppose to be the sabbath day. (isaiah 58:13-14)

 Why not every day a time set aside to really praise and honor God.  How do we "honor" God?

John 5:23 

23 that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father. Whoever does not honor the Son does not honor the Father, who sent him.


The greek word (timao) #5091 from my strong's concordance. has these words to describe this word:   Fix a valuation upon, revere, and says this word is from #5093 with more words to describe:  valuable, most precious, costly,esteemed.


some definitions are:

honor 
noun
1 high respect; esteem adherence to what is right or to a conventional standard of conduct : I must as a matter of honor avoid any taint of dishonesty.
2 a privilege :an exalted position
Reverence combines profound respect with love or devotionObeisance is a show of honor or reverence by an act or gesture of submission or humility, such as a bow or a curtsy 

If you really want to Honor God, take a look at your own celebrations.  Which Honor God and which do not.  Study where some of the traditional celebrations came from and ask yourself if they align with how God should be honored.  Our actions either Honor God or not.  Every thing is so easy to look up on the internet now.  Now is the time to hear for how many days do any one of us have left upon the earth?  None of us know for sure.  We cannot delay any longer and making sure we STAND before the Lord our God.  I speak not to the dead but to the living.  

Somewhere, In the old testament, I read where God was saying how much He hates the traditions of Men.  God said it not me.

Isaiah 55:8-9 (New American Standard Bible)


    
8"For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
         Nor are your ways My ways," declares the LORD.
    
9"For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
         So are My ways higher than your ways
         And My thoughts than your thoughts.




Popular Posts